Fuji 16mm 1.4 - a dud or expectations too high

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ArturoBandini Forum Member • Posts: 91
Fuji 16mm 1.4 - a dud or expectations too high

I've recently purchased Fuji 16mm 1.4, and finally got to play a little bit with it.

Physically the lens seems quite cool - other then aperture ring which seems to be wobbly. It has clicks, an some resistance when rotating so I am not talking about loose action issue reported by many. It seems then on the right side of the lens, the ring is loose somehow and have a bit of a forward - backward action.

Did anyone experience this?

Other - much more important issue - is that pics I've been getting with it seems quite underwhelming in terms of sharpness. I've compared it to fuji 18-55 at 18mm with 2.8 and 5.6 apertures and frankly I cannot see any major differences in sharpness when comparing 100% crops.

Now I know that many have praised the 18-55, and I do find it a very cool, convenient, lens. However everybody kept praising 16mm 1.4. as out of this world lens when it comes to IQ and sharpness in particular. Also when I compared it to my 27mm 2.8 and 50mm f2 its just soft And yes, I know these are different focal lengths - just saying...

I've attached bellow couple of photos comparing 18-55 at 18mm and 16mm. Far from cool frames, but maybe enough to see the lack of difference in sharpness.

16mm at 2.8

18-55, 18mm at 2.8

16mm at 5.6

18-55, 18mm at 5.6

Anyway, maybe I have a dud or my expectations where just to high. What do you think?

ArturoBandini's gear list:ArturoBandini's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow