Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Phillip Lynch
Phillip Lynch Contributing Member • Posts: 540
Re: RF Teleconverters Purpose

Sittatunga wrote:

quiquae wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

JaimitoFrog wrote:

They look like combined EF-RF adaptor with extender. The protruded part won't fit on the back end of RF 70-200.

Nice idea but no, they have an RF mount front and back.

My guess (repeat - guess!) is that optically, extenders work best a bit further away from the sensor - kind of the opposite of wide angle lens designs which benefit so much from the short back focus. Here the designers are fighting against it.

It'll be interesting to see what Sigma and Kenko come up with.

And given the large number of remaining holes in the RF lineup, it's unrealistic to expect more than one big white this year. If I had to bet, I'd say we'd see only an RF 400mm F2.8L. I wasn't expecting to see any RF big white this year, actually, but it'd be rather daft of Canon to release teleconverters with no big white to attach them to.

There doesn't seem to be any physical restriction to using them with two of the EF adapters, which would open them up to nearly every EF lens within reason. The loss of effective aperture is much less of a problem with the mirrorless AF and viewfinder. That makes them more attractive for me than the EF extenders.

That's a brilliant Hypothesis

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow