Guide to Win10 sharing and networking please

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AnthonyL Veteran Member • Posts: 3,114

Up until today I've happily shared folders across my LAN between an HP Elitebook (was Win7 Pro is now Win 10 Pro), Lenovo XP and Samsung Netbook (was Win7 Home is now Win10 Home), as well as Android.

The Samsung is at its limit, certainly since Win10 so I've acquired an HP Pavilion g6 (64bit, 8Gb RAM) which came with Win10 Home (though originally was Win8).

Now I can't get any networking to work, the new Pavilion reporting:

"Net view

The service has not been started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2184 ( ,, no, it's not available)."

I'd like a concise guide to sharing etc.

Note that i have made the new machine part of the same workgroup as the other machines, and have set c:\Users\Public to shareable and there other folders on the existing machines and on the new machine that I want to see and interchange files.

A guide would be handy and I thought I saw mention of one. There's an awful lot of not very good stuff out there or too intrusive with ads, privacy, sign ins, etc.

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow