Body material

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
eques Veteran Member • Posts: 3,667
G1 and 2

400trix wrote:

Bobby J wrote:

It's magnesium alloy. I doubt they would ever use plastic for a top of the line camera.

I wouldn't buy it and I doubt many would. I've had one plastic body camera (E-30) and it's the last one I will ever buy. I could care less about all the folks who tout plastic as a viable material for a camera body. I want metal construction. I think plastic is simply too flexible for use in a camera.

Given the reports we’re getting from the 5.3 tripod socket, I think the only really good way to make a plastic bodied camera is to use a long fiber reinforced plastics, such as carbon fiber, or perhaps glass. Carbon is fashionable, but other fibers should work as well. And to get the layup exactly right.

.. as Panasonic did in their G1 and G2. My G1 survived falling from more than 1 m on stone twice and often was used on a tripod.

So it can be done easily and in cameras that cost have the price of the EM5.3.

Peter

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow