Help with a mirrorless purchase

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RitterSport Contributing Member • Posts: 952
Help with a mirrorless purchase

I think it's getting close to upgrade time.  I have a Nikon D90, which I really like, but the low light performance isn't great and there's something happening with my SB-600 flash.

New cameras at ISO 6400 look as good or better than this one at ISO 800, I think, so I could probably avoid using a flash completely most of the time.

I think I have it narrowed down between the Sony a6400, Fuji XT-30, and the Nikon Z-50.

Here are my thoughts on each:

Sony a6400:  Sony makes fantastic cameras and they inherited a lot from their purchase of MInolta (my first digital camera was a Minolta A1).  The video quality will be fantastic, I imagine, but I'm not much of a video shooter.  A good number of lenses.  A bit fiddly, with most functionality in the menu system, or so I've heard.  Small form factor.  I think this one is the most expensive, and I'm not sure why it's so much more.

Nikon Z-50:  The advantage here is that I'll be very familiar with the controls and layout.  I imagine it would adapt well to my existing lenses, at least my newer ones.  My main concern is that this is Nikon's first foray into mirrorless, and I imagine they have a lot to learn.  I don't know how many new lenses Nikon will make, though, for this mirrorless.  A bit bigger than the Sony.

Fujifilm XT-30:  I love the control layout, from what I've seen online.  I'm concerned about lens availability and, actually, camera availability.  Nobody near me has it, so I can't get my hands on one before buying, unless I take the trip to B&H.  Supposedly has great JPEGs, which is good for me, because I gave up on RAW years ago.

For some reason, none of these have in-body stabilization, which seems to be standard in all 4/3 cameras.  Do any APS-C mirrorless have it?  Also, why are primes so much more expensive for mirrorless?

I mostly take pictures of people, family and friends, events.  Nothing pro.  I like APS-C sensors, because they tend to be a good trade-off between size, cost, etc.

Can someone sell me on one of these?  Are there others I should throw in the mix?

Fujifilm X-T30 Nikon D90 Nikon Z50 Sony a6400
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow