It's the A7iii + Tamron 2875 f2.8 that Canon (still) has to compete in 2020

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Miki Nemeth
Miki Nemeth Senior Member • Posts: 1,546
It's the A7iii + Tamron 2875 f2.8 that Canon (still) has to compete in 2020

Let's assume that the EOS R5 Canon has recently rumor-announced will be eventually absolutely the best camera ever, better than A9 + A7RIV + S1H + Z7 all combined. A Camera like this would go in the price range of $3500 - $4500, which would be perfectly fine for the features. Is this what Canon really need to stop Sony marching to be the best seller camera maker? I don't think so.

It was first the A7iii (camera of the year 2018) with its excellent specification for an affordable price. Then Tamron 28-75 f2.8 (2018), an affordable excellent f2.8 zoom lens.

Sony A7iii with Tamron 28-75 f2.8 the camera to beat in 2020

Everybody is raving about the excellent specifications of the $6500 1DXiii, and the R5, but eventually buy the A7iii.

I used to own an EOS R, and it is an excellent camera but the lack of sensor stabilization and 1.8x 4K crop eventually killed it for me. Even if Canon announced an EOS RF camera just with the A7iii features, even then I had the question, where is the Tamron 2875 equivalent RF lens?

I love cameras, I love experimenting with $4000 - $7000 cameras in showrooms, but would I buy and keep any of them? I used to own and loved an $3500 A9 for a year, a brutally great tool, eventually I sold it, since I recognized that a plain A7iii is perfectly fine for the photography and videography I am after.

I keep having a look on the best seller list on my favorite merchant's website, and for a year the absolute top is the A7iii. This December 2019 I spent two weeks on experimenting with the best Sony, Canon, Panasonic, Sigma, Nikon cameras in showrooms. I loved all cameras, the S1H was mind-blowing, the EOS R with latest firmware worked great, the Sony A7RIV (the camera of the year 2019) was a king, but eventually I picked the A7iii + Tamron 2875 for my daughter's full-time professional photography job. When the Tamron 70-180f2.8 is going to be available, I'll buy it for her, too, blind folded, after my experience with the recent Tamron mirrorless lenses. In the meantime she is using a great condition affordable ($700) used Canon 100-400L with Metabones adapter, which the A7iii autofocuses decently.

-- hide signature --

Thank you for taking the time reading. I use DPReview as my photography/videography blog. If you like it, click Like, or leave some comments.
Have fun on http://www.flickr.com/photos/99398503@N07/sets

Miki Nemeth's gear list:Miki Nemeth's gear list
Nikon Df Sony a5100 Sony a9 Sony a7 III Canon EOS R +4 more
Nikon Z7 Ricoh Caplio R5 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow