Does the new R5 change your roadmap?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 16,193
Re: Nope but a RM would

Photato wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

The specs on the new R5 look like a it's going to be a real paradigm shifter...

Canon R5 announcement at DPReview

R5 details at B&H

Do you think Canon is moving in a new direction (esp with the inclusion of IBIS)? Will any of these goodies trickle down to the M-System? Will there BE a future M-System? What will your next upgrades be...

No signs of Canon investing much into the M System, nor reassuring official statements neither hence it is of a questionable future.

You not getting the constant reassurance you need from Canon doesn't mean they aren't committed.

But Canon needs an APS-C system for sure and is of their best interest to make it compatible with the R mount, just like Nikon has now.

A 3rd APS-C system under the Canon fold makes no sense. Canon did not build out the first 2, just like Nikon.... the 3rd would suffer a similar fate.

M system is selling pretty well in Japan and is cheap enough that anyone who wants a complimentary crop system to FF can just buy it.

Enter the rumored RM, I guess the M is there to relate to the M series marketing wise.
The price of that new body is speculated to be under the RP, which is already a bare bones camera so it makes sense the lower cost is due to cropped sensor.
Canon made an extraordinary effort to bring the 32MP APS-C sensor to market and I think its long term plan with it was not for the M or DSLRs but the R mount.

I love my M6ii. Nothing else out there is as small and light, with such great bang for the buck. Will there be an M6iii?

R2

RM with a 32MP APS-C sensor + built-in EVF. $849 Body Only, $1,000 with 15-45 Kit lens. To be released before the Tokyo Olympic Games.

So that is what I think is going to happen in relationship to M's future.
Personally, I'd stick with my M6II for a while and eventually switch to either Canon RM or a Panasonic FF.

I'm sorry but none of this makes any sense

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow