EM1 MKiii - Buying a new camera / upgrading / not

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
miscellaneous59
miscellaneous59 Regular Member • Posts: 309
Re: EM1 MKiii - Buying a new camera / upgrading / not

Thinking OLY would do as it did with its EM1 III I dumped my EM1 II, 25 2.8 and 60mm 2.8 Macro awhile back.

I was intent on looking at moving on beyond MFT and looked at Fuji as my next system.

The promise of a better sensor was the ONLY thing which appealed to me over my EM1 II...something which MFT appears to have given up on..."good enough"...maybe...but for more money?

Upon closer inspection I quickly realized:

1. How much I missed IBIS.
  2. The more I held the XT-3...the more I realized just how much I preferred the EM1 II ergonomics
  3. XT-3 prices were not coming down as much as I had hoped...maybe this will change in the coming week or two?
  4. The FREE XT-3 grip didn't make up for the ergonomics and caused the camera to be much larger.
  5. XT-4 is around the corner along with a likely significant price increase.
  6. Upon closer inspection the Fuji lens lineup is not all its cracked up to be as the only lenses (other than primes) that I am interested in would have to have LM (Linear Motor for fast focusing) / OIS (IBIS) / WR (Weather Resistant) and they are:
    1. 80mm 2.8 Macro $1200 vs  OLY 60mm 2.8 $400
    2. 18-135 3.5-5.6 $900 vs OLY 12-100 F4  $1200 ($1350 CDN - BARGAIN)
    3. 50-140 2.8 $2050 vs OLY 40-150 2.8 $1350

So for what I sold my MFT gear as noted above I bought a Lumix G9 and 35-100 2.8 II and am back in the MFT game.

As to OLY the EM1 III is now $1800 and I bought my G9 for $950 and while I am hopeful I will like it as much as I did the EM 1 II (Focus seems to have improved with the latest 2.0 firmware) I will not be giving OLY another cent...IMHO they have turned a credible photo dynasty into a gadget upgrading scam.

For my very limited photo skills the G9...as was my EM1 II was and is for the price..."Good Enough".

miscellaneous59's gear list:miscellaneous59's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Arn
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow