Best carry on for a bicycle Tour

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Mark K
Mark K Veteran Member • Posts: 6,477
Re: Best carry on for a bicycle Tour

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

jvora wrote:

Hello :

Am planning a bicycle tour for about 7-9 days and am looking for a camera bag or some relevant system -

The camera gear is only the thing that will be "on" me while riding as my personal belongings will be transported by the tour company from one location to the next each day.

Literally 'on' you is the best. I don't even think about attaching my camera and telezoom to the bike itself. The constant shocks destroy your gear. On your back is the best place since it will not restrict movement and your body absorbs the shocks.

Camera gear that I would like to keep on me while riding ( all of it is bulky ) :

1. Nikon D810 attached to a Sigma Art 35mm Lens, ( which I can clip on using the Peak Design Clip so its accessible without reaching for the bag in which the rest of the gear is kept ).

2. Nikkor 14-24mm Lens

3. Sigma Art 85mm Lens.

Besides a backpack, would a Waist Bag work OR would it restrict the movements of riding and make it uncomfortable ?

Waist packs only work with light gear. Tried them with my DSLR and threw them away. Always nice for the zoo though.

What are the other carry one options ?
What has worked for others ?
Please share your experiences.
With thanks,

Jai
ps : Post cross-posted

Since I do thousands of miles a year on my racing bike and multi-day trips with luggage on my mountain bike I've tried several systems.

For the last eight years, the Clik Elite Escape is my absolute favorite. It has top access to get your camera fast and has the perfect shape for cycling. Your gear will fit. Unfortunately this brand is no longer active but you can stil buy them on the internet.

Another option, the Atlas Atlete, packs like this work on bikes. Skiing and mountaineering packs can be used on bikes too. Often, they have room for a helmet, nice for a cyclist.

What a surprise...though have been using Clik Elite Cloudscaoe  tosupplement my Contrejour, I need a top access bag for landscape photography.

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Nikon D500 +73 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow