$20 sony HX30V vs $200 panasonic TZ100

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rambow Regular Member • Posts: 338
$20 sony HX30V vs $200 panasonic TZ100

I love buying and comparing cheap cameras! As it happens in the last couple of months i`ve been testing out various cheap telezoom cameras(olympus E420+oly 40-150, olympus SZ-16) and eventually ended up choosing these two, bought used like usual.

At 20 dollars or even triple the amount, the sony hx30v is a little gem of a camera. Along with its older siblings, the hx9v and hx20v, they are the least expensive way into shooting zoom images of acceptable quality. In some areas the hx30v is even better than the much newer and more expensive tz100. I`il make a short list:

HX30V vs TZ100:

-better iso performance considering the sensor size difference.

-better optical stabilization in low light conditions.

-easier to carry and operate, more compact in size and more fun to use.

-more zoom(20X vs 10+ max X5 intelligent zoom).

-better flash operation(brighter).

-uses a standard micro usb port for charging.

TZ100 vs HX30V:

-for larger prints or when pixel peeping, the sensor size of the panasonic makes a noticeable difference in IQ.

-a lot more customization is possible/more manual controls.

-touchscreen operation.

-more/newer technology.

-more control in video mode(can set WB for example).

Although the target group for these cameras is the same(compact zoom enthusiasts like me), i will argue that they are not competitors simply because the sony has more zoom while the panasonic has a bigger sensor. Does it make sense to have both? Definitely.

Now i didn`t prepare a IQ test for these cameras(i know, booo, right), but i will attach a couple of pics taken in similar conditions(P mode, iso 1600, cloudy WB). Should be enough to judge the IQ difference in this particular case. Slight crop for the sony to match the angle of the panasonic sample, no other edit. Jpeg like usual, default color style on both, with -5 for noise reduction on the panasonic. Do you think the IQ difference is as large as the price gap between these two?

Pentax X-5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow