Birds in flight and surfing pics with M6ii

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
chiti106 New Member • Posts: 5
Birds in flight and surfing pics with M6ii

Hi all

I'm new to this, my first thread

I wish to share my experience with my M6ii at shooting surfing action and birds in flight

I live in Auckland New Zealand and there is a beach well known for surf as well as having a Gannet colony so it was really handy to try out out this camera for action.  I've read many threads here and they have been helpful with camera setup.

I used the EF 70-300L lens for all action shots

I shot with both spot AF as well as tracking AF. I found the spot AF more accurate for slower moving subjects like surfers from a distance but tracking AF was better for fast moving birds as I struggled to keep the bird in the middle of the frame as they got closer.  The tracking AF did a pretty good job overall.  It kept the bird in focus most of the time though not always on the head/eye but that's not unexpected.

I used the EVF for tracking and initially tried to use the touch screen to drag focus point but I eventually had to turn this off as my nose was touch the screen the moved the focus point away from the bird accidentally.  I found that if I used tracking AF and gained focus on the bird before fully releasing the shutter then it was fairly successful.

I thoroughly enjoy this camera.  I use it mostly for family portraits but its also nice to know this camera is capable of so much more

The next 2 demonstrate the photo at 300mm as original unedited shot followed by close cropping for the action.  With the 32mp sensor you can zoom quite tightly and still achieve a shot that is still quite satisfactory for the the smartphone or computer screen IMO

The next 2 are from the same panning sequence.  The first missed the eye by a small amount, the most focused point was the tail.  The second photo focused on the eye

Gannet colony at Muriwai Beach.  There are so many birds flying at a time that it is a great place to practice shooting birds in flight

Muriwai beach

I hope you enjoy my photos.  All comments are welcome

chiti106's gear list:chiti106's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow