A question about moon shots with landscapes

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zBernie
zBernie Contributing Member • Posts: 504
A question about moon shots with landscapes

I took the photo below with my Sony a7iii camera and 70-300mm Sony G lens. It was a full moon this night, but overcast to cloudy. I had the camera setup essentially with the "loony 11" rule, ISO 100, shutter speed 1/125, and aperture f/11. When I arrived at the site there was a big yellow/orange full moon! I knew time was of the essence, but when I got setup the clouds were obscuring the moon. I found that with these settings I could not see anything in my live view. I wound up taking this shot at 70mm, f/4.5, and I needed a shutter speed of 13s, which was still not enough for a proper exposure! I tweaked exposure and a few settings in post.

From what I've read you need a shutter speed of around 1/125s to capture a sharp image of the moon, because it is traveling at ~ 2,300 mph. I'm guessing that if they moon was not obscured by clouds, it would be brighter, and allow me to use a faster shutter speed than 13s. My question is, how slow of a shutter speed is feasible when taking a shot like the one below which includes the landscape as well?

-Thanks

zBernie's gear list:zBernie's gear list
Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow