Best intermediate mount for speedbooster/lens inter-compatibility

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Julsg New Member • Posts: 6
Best intermediate mount for speedbooster/lens inter-compatibility

Hi wonderful people of DP review

I recently saw a video about Auto-focus adapters . The person in the video was adapting a Helios 44-2 to a Sony A9 with a dumb M42-Leica adapter + a fotodiox leica M to NEX auto-focus adapter. I had never heard of combining adapters before.

This got me thinking about what the best combination of adapters is to cover as many lenses in your collection as possible. I recently bought an M42-NEX focal reducing adapter, because most of my lenses are M42, and I use an a6000. I realise this wasn't the smartest thing to do, as I also have Nikon, M39, Kiev, and Minolta mount lenses; so if I had bought a focal reducer with an intermediate mount in mind, I could use cheaper, dumb adapters to use the more expensive adapter accessory with a variety of lens mounts.

My question is: what is the "best" intermediate mount to use for this purpose, in terms of stability, resistance to wear, and most importantly, compatibility with a variety of lenses?

The person in the video uses leica as the intermediate, which seems like a good idea, except I cannot seem to find any leica M to NEX focal reducing adapters. It would be nice to keep this intermediate mount consistent between accessories I purchase in future so that I would only need one set of adapters (but this is probably a pipe dream, at least from what I have seen).

I was thinking that canon EF might be a good choice - especially since there is this really cool looking canon-nex focal reducer that does aperture as well (and has lots of blades). I could then use: M42-canon, M39-canon, Nikon F-canon, and Minolta-Canon adapters.But I have little experience with Canon cameras and their accessories so I would like to hear your input.

I hope this question makes sense - I'm a relative beginner to photography and I am assuming other people have experimented with this concept.

Julsg's gear list:Julsg's gear list
Sony a6000 +9 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow