Another case of the E-M5iii tripod mount failing

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
gmarmot New Member • Posts: 20
Re: Another case of the E-M5iii tripod mount failing

Interesting potential problem. I recently bought an EM5III, after using an EM5II purchased when it was released. For me, I travel for months at a time in third world countries, I simply must keep gear size/weight down. Therefore, I rarely carry any tripod.

If I did use one more often, this would be very concerning. This issue makes one wonder if folks who often use a tripod and will buy a new Olympus camera, should look at an EM1III if they are willing to spend the extra $ (yes, it's a big price difference). With an RRS-L plate ($135), the EM5III weighs about 17.4 oz, while an EM1III weighs about 20.7 oz., and the size difference also is much less using an RRS-L. I still have my EM5II, so would use that near home when tripod use is necessary.

I've had several people carrying aps-c and full frame cameras overseas tell me that I should switch to those formats. Shooting wildlife and traveling on buses/trains/planes and hiking makes those formats impossible. I show them the Panasonic 100-400 lens, and ask if they would carry that focal length and another lens or 2 in larger formats after explaining the size/weight/price difference. End of discussion.

gmarmot's gear list:gmarmot's gear list
Olympus TG-820 iHS Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow