EM-1 Miii: Fairly disappointed, but might still give it a try

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
nameless0ne
nameless0ne Forum Member • Posts: 53
Re: the "new sensor" fallacy

Astrotripper wrote:

Technology is bound by physics. If you believe that a new sensor will come and our MFT cameras will have noise and DR of a full frame camera or whatever, you're in for a disappointment. You don't have to look far for an example. According to DxO, the high ISO improvement in FF sensor in the past 10 years is something like 1/3 of a stop. Less than half a stop of DR in the last 8 years.

It's the same wishful thinking that BSI would somehow make a big difference, when we know for a fact it doesn't make much of a difference at this pixel density.

So we're down to the things I mentioned. You might get more pixels. Or you might get faster sensor. Preferably both. But if you want increase in "low light performance" that is actually meaningful, you do that by buying a faster lens or switching to a larger format paired with an appropriately fast lens.

If that will be just about matrix -- I will, generally, agree with you. Progress is subtle, but still -- BSI, double gain, copper wiring. Small changes, but all together they make a difference.

At the same time what disappoints in E-M1 III are real stupid things, which they where able to improve but have not done so: viewfinder, UHS-II slot, better screen. Something, you kind of expect from new top camera in 2020... but here we have still same 2016 specs. That's sad. I know -- it will not stop us from making great pictures, but looks like Olympus just has a huge stock of this old components and they decided to "save" on us here with this "new" body. That's some sort of salt and disappointment. Still -- Olympus are very very capable cameras and M43 is heavily underrated system.

nameless0ne's gear list:nameless0ne's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon EOS RP +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow