Re: Forget the R5, look at the 24-105mm f/4.0-7.1

MAC wrote:

rick9814911 wrote:

MAC wrote:

rick9814911 wrote:

MAC wrote:

Alastair Norcross wrote:

nnowak wrote:

The new RF 24-105mm f/4.0-7.1 is the same length as the EF-M 18-150mm and only marginally fatter and heavier. The new 24-105mm f/4.0-7.1 lens sounds slow, but if this was a crop lens, it would be equivalent to a 15-65mm f/2.5-4.5. Who here wouldn't love a 15-65mm f/2.5-4.5 lens for the M system?

Maybe, but I'd take the M6II with 18-150 over the RP with the new 24-105 any day. The RP has around 2/3 stop ISO advantage over the M6II, so, in the overlapping parts of the zoom range, you're getting maybe 1/3-1/2 stop IS advantage. If I had to have a camera with just one lens, I'd much rather have the large performance advantages of the M6II, and the considerable extra range on the long end of the 18-150, than the fairly trivial ISO advantages of the RP and the extra wide-angle end of the 24-105.

however, I got the RF 24-105 F4 L which is not trivial advantage on the RP

Which comes with a huge weight and cost disadvantage.

really, a 1 lbs body and a 1.5 lbs all around lens is huge?

$850 for a body and $899 for a great L is huge?

Actually, if I had to have a camera with just one lens, I'd probably opt for the M6II with either 22 F2 or 32 F1.4 over either of those choices.

very, very limiting

I prefer primes over zooms for the image quality. It is limiting,

hmm, limit

but thats part of the fun.

the fun

Plus the M50 or M6II with the 22mm is insanely light.

it doesn't fit in a jean pocket

btw - I carry my 2.5 lbs all arounder in one hand with wrist strap for hours

But, luckily for me, I don't have to have a camera with just one lens (that's the beauty of an ILC). I would love to have an R5, and some nice R lenses (though I already have plenty of EF lenses, including some L lenses, which I could use on it). But I'd probably still use my M6II more, because I take it with me pretty much everywhere I go, sometimes with just the 22 F2 on it.

I take my RP + RF 24-105 F4 L pretty much everywhere I go - it fits in my jacket pocket

The RF 24-105 F4L and my 100L are my favorite optics ever

I'm glad you're fine with the weight and size. But I would say for most people, that would be considered far from a pocketable travel setup.

I would say you can't fit m in a jeans pocket

I fit my 2.5 lbs RP + RF 24-105 F4L in jacket pocket

I'm glad that works for you! Too expensive and heavy for me. And you're only talking about one lens. If you wanted to carry a kit with you, the weight differences would become even larger, and the price gap would become larger.

when I carry a small bag, I put my T7i + 55-250 STM beside my RP + RF 24-105 F4L

that represents 24 - 400 FOV

Also, I can fit the M50 and 22mm in a jean pocket. Maybe your jeans are just tighter than mine! But your jacket looser than mine lol. And yes the difference is huge. The RP kit compared to an M kit would be a few times as expensive, and a few times as heavy. So yea, that's a huge difference!

now my 24-400 fov in favor of your 35 fov is what I call HUGE

I'm not sure what exactly you're getting at. I'm not comparing the 22mm to your 2 camera, 2 lens setup.

rick9814911's gear list:rick9814911's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS RP Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow