Specs or performance, which is most important?

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
CharlesB58 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,347
Re: Specs or performance, which is most important?

A lot of people want the camera to make it easier to produce what they feel are photos that are better-spec-wise-than the camera they are replacing. The idea of working to wring the most out of the camera they have isn't considered an option. It might be too much work for them. It might be the specs make them think they are better photographers than they really are. In any case, this is the internet, and this is a photography gear site. That's a combination sure to provoke expert opinions from people who would otherwise keep their mouths shut (or not LOL).

Take "Straight OOC .jpeg" brags, for example: why? I may be somewhat impressed by the camera's processing engine, but I end up thinking the person with the camera is missing an appreciation of what photography as a craft involves. It's about making images, not taking images.

As far as specs are concerned, I'm not supposed to get the low light results I do with my EM1.1s. Performance-wise, what the camera does is a starting point, and as a photographer I'm expected to build from there. For me, the EM1.3 is partly about facilitating more consistent results, more easily (better AF, better IBIS, ) partly about having a higher base starting point (better sensor & processing engine) and partly about doing things I can't currently do (HR, and HHHR, Live ND).

-- hide signature --

Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed. Quote by Garry Winogrand
http://ikkensimages.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
chp
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow