The trend continues

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
fPrime
fPrime Veteran Member • Posts: 3,105
Re: The trend continues

VBLondon wrote:

yray wrote:

wide open, very well may be. So shoot an f/1.4 lens at f/2, or an f/2 lens at f/2.5. Maybe even an f/2.8 lens at f/3.5 or f/4. Usually not such a big deal for most practical purposes. Either that or spend a fortune. Where it is not about bragging rights, it is all about cost/benefit.

I agree it's all about cost/benefit.

I'd guess the cost of developing and selling an AF-D FTZ adapter is not worth the benefit of pleasing the segment of users who prefer lens designs from the 90s and are not interested in the Z lens designs from the 20s.

Everyone is entitled to their own preferences, so when someone writes, as they did above: Number one, my AF-D primes are smaller and lighter than all of the Z primes. Number two, they are available in all focal lengths. Z won't get there until 2025. Number three, they are bought and paid for whereas Z lenses are priced well over their build quality and supposed image benefit.

I think, 'fair enough', but if I were Nikon, of all the competing priorities in a difficult market, making them happy would not be near the top of my list. I'd make more Z lenses for people who value their image benefits and think they are reasonably priced and might actually buy them.

Here's the thing... Nikon already has a reputation for needlessly angering their customers after numerous bone-headed product development choices in the last few years. They need to shake that perception if they want to survive. Offering a DTZ adapter isn't done for profit on the adapter itself, it's done keep the photographer within the Nikon ecosystem and secure greater profit from them over the long term.

This is what Thom Hogan wrote on the topic:

I mentioned legacy, and there’s another area where Nikon didn’t quite get it right: the FTZ Adapter. Why there aren’t more adapters—ala what Canon did—I don’t understand. I see three clear adapter options:

• G/E AF-S/AF-P lenses only. The simplest adapter for most current lens users. (Basically the current FTZ Adapter.)
  • D and screwdriver lenses. More complex, more power hungry, but keeps older lenses relevant. (Sells modestly, but keeps the legacy Nikon user from being pis sed off by the abandonment of a class of lenses.)
  • AI/AI-S lenses only. Yep, there’s room for this type of adapter, and it would be useful to some of the faithful; given how simple it would be, this is the one that you for sure put a drop-in filter option into. (Why? Full AI support enables the full PASM exposure options.)

You'll note that having a set of adapters like that would essentially provide full legacy support back to 1979. Isn't that Nikon's reputation? Why would Z mirrorless be "only partially supporting legacy"?

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/2020-mirrorless-camera/the-nikon-z-system-almost.html

I own 5 AF-D lenses, I kept them as a nice match for my Df. I have no interest in using them on a Z body - the FTZ is clunky enough, an AFD adapter with its own motor and AF module would be an awful contraption to mount on a light Z body and negate any size advantage inherent in the lenses.

Sony LA-EA4 A to E lens adapter with built in AF Motor (160g) - $298

Nikon FTZ adapter with no AF motor (133g) - $250

Adding 27 grams to get AF support for AF-D lenses would break a sweat on you, VBLondon?

fPrime

-- hide signature --

Half of my heart is a shotgun wedding to a bride with a paper ring,
And half of my heart is the part of a man who's never truly loved anything.

fPrime's gear list:fPrime's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D700
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow