Does the new R5 change your roadmap?

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 3,433
Re: What about hobby photographers?

rick9814911 wrote:

rz64 wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

The specs on the new R5 look like a it's going to be a real paradigm shifter...

Canon R5 announcement at DPReview

R5 details at B&H

Do you think Canon is moving in a new direction (esp with the inclusion of IBIS)? Will any of these goodies trickle down to the M-System? Will there BE a future M-System? What will your next upgrades be...

I love my M6ii. Nothing else out there is as small and light, with such great bang for the buck. Will there be an M6iii?

R2

For two years now I am using my M6 and I am very happy with the camera, the lenses and the results.
To my mind the actual discussion excludes the "entry-level-photographers" for an ILC. I am no pro, I consider myself as a hobby photographer, for me the M-line is perfect for all of my needs.
Of course, for pros the R-line might be interesting. But for me, the disadvantages of FF are much bigger than the eventual profits:
- too large and too heavy (with regard to physics)
- too expensive
- shallow DOF is mostly undesirable

This is something I didn't expect when I tried full frame. I expected to love the ability to really blow out the background even more than APS-C. But it turned out to be a disadvantage for me. I was constantly having to stop down to get what I wanted in focus. It became a real hindrance in low light and for macro work. I've also tried MFT. APS-C, for me, is the sweet spot for DOF.

Just control possibilities with aperture settings. You don't need a smaller sensor to get enough DOF.

Is Canon interested in ignoring the needs of the beginners?
I don't think that one day "buying a camera" means "buying FF".

-- hide signature --

M for zooms, RF for primes

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow