RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM and RF extenders

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
Bhotoz Senior Member • Posts: 1,187
Re: I missed the part where Canon claimed this was a birding lens

gimp_dad wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

Yes 200mm is short for soccer and that’s where the frustration comes in and all the TC’s. They get the 70-200 because they are getting blurry shots so the salesperson says they need the f/2.8 to replace their non-L 70-300. Unfortunately that is too short so they buy the 2x TC but then it’s too slow again. Then they see what your 400mm f/2.8 costs and they give up and crop the 200mm shots.

I almost never see any white lens on a soccer parent's camera and certainly not a 70-200/2.8L of any kind. For the price issue you mention they usually get a first party 70-300 or tamron 100-400. It actually works fine on a Nikon 7200 or T7 class body for entry to mid-level soccer action. Until high school and college they play in bright daylight 100% of the time. I've spent 30 years on these soccer fields up to college level but mostly competitive youth leagues. Once they are in high school the parents realize they cant really follow the action well enough anyway so they ask me to get some shots of their kids.

I've also spent quite a lot of time beside the kids' soccer fields. And I'm probably the only Canon shooter that has used white lenses? Most of them seem to use black 70-300 or maybe 18-135? My white lenses do draw attention, unfortunately.  I'm usually sitting on the ground very close, so I find 70-200 2.8 and 300 f4 IS on FF pretty good range. (400mm prime is too restricting for me.) I don't even try to shoot everything and everywhere. I'm waiting for the good moment near me.

I did buy Sigma 100-400 to get more reach & versatility for shooting soccer (& other sports, and IS + shorter mfd than 400mm f5.6L for static birds and butterflies), but I ended up using it mainly for landscapes, especially after I bought a used 300mm f4 IS + 1 4x iii... It's (Sigma) very nice landscape lens, but not the best (AF) for faster action. Haven't tried Tamron 100-400.

I have already traded my EF 70-200 2.8ii (great lens!) to RF, and cannot wait to trade my other longer / older lenses to RF 100-500 or smth with great AF and IS... Interesting to see the final "specs" of 100-500..

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow