Does the new R5 change your roadmap?

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
rick9814911 Regular Member • Posts: 129
Re: Forget the R5, look at the 24-105mm f/4.0-7.1

I think the whole discussion of equivalency when comparing full frame to smaller sensors is pointless. It's a matter of physics, and there's no way to cheat that. Yes you can make a slow full frame lens that is close to the size and weight of a slightly faster APS-C lens. But by doing that you're essentially giving up the benefits of having the full frame camera in the first place.

And the very small APS-C setups are still quite a bit smaller than even the smallest full frame setups. I've had the M50 and the RP. The RP is still bigger and heavier, not by a ton, but it's noticeable. And even the smallest full frame lenses are still a bit bigger and heavier than the smallest APS-C lenses. Overall the APS-C camera is still going to smaller, cheaper and lighter. And the full frame camera is still going to be better in low light, more expensive and heavier.

I don't see why both can't continue to exist. The market is shrinking for sure, but it's still there enough to warrant the existence of both full frame and APS-C. And smartphones can produce decent results in perfect conditions. But otherwise are way behind in functionality and image quality.

rick9814911's gear list:rick9814911's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS RP Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow