Does the new R5 change your roadmap?

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 7,157
Re: Forget the R5, look at the 24-105mm f/4.0-7.1

MAC wrote:

Alastair Norcross wrote:

nnowak wrote:

The new RF 24-105mm f/4.0-7.1 is the same length as the EF-M 18-150mm and only marginally fatter and heavier. The new 24-105mm f/4.0-7.1 lens sounds slow, but if this was a crop lens, it would be equivalent to a 15-65mm f/2.5-4.5. Who here wouldn't love a 15-65mm f/2.5-4.5 lens for the M system?

Maybe, but I'd take the M6II with 18-150 over the RP with the new 24-105 any day. The RP has around 2/3 stop ISO advantage over the M6II, so, in the overlapping parts of the zoom range, you're getting maybe 1/3-1/2 stop IS advantage. If I had to have a camera with just one lens, I'd much rather have the large performance advantages of the M6II, and the considerable extra range on the long end of the 18-150, than the fairly trivial ISO advantages of the RP and the extra wide-angle end of the 24-105.

however, I got the RF 24-105 F4 L which is not trivial advantage on the RP

Not trivial over the 18-150, but no advantage over an F1.4 prime on the M6II, in terms of ISO handling. In fact, the prime has a significant advantage for anything that moves, where you can't just take advantage of the IS to shoot at very slow shutter speeds.

Actually, if I had to have a camera with just one lens, I'd probably opt for the M6II with either 22 F2 or 32 F1.4 over either of those choices.

very, very limiting

Limits are not always bad. Some of us vastly prefer primes to zooms. I grew up with an SLR and a 50mm lens. I actually find it very enjoyable to go out with the M6II and just one shortish fast prime. There's a reason that those Fuji fixed lens cameras actually sell (though I still can't understand why those attracted to them don't just use an M with the 22 pancake).

But, luckily for me, I don't have to have a camera with just one lens (that's the beauty of an ILC). I would love to have an R5, and some nice R lenses (though I already have plenty of EF lenses, including some L lenses, which I could use on it). But I'd probably still use my M6II more, because I take it with me pretty much everywhere I go, sometimes with just the 22 F2 on it.

I take my RP + RF 24-105 F4 L pretty much everywhere I go - it fits in my jacket pocket

Pretty big pocket.

The RF 24-105 F4L and my 100L are my favorite optics ever

My favorites are the EF-M 32, Sigma EF-M 56, and Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS II. I do like the 100L, though.

For the kind of photography I do, the RP would never satisfy me. The M6II is perfect. Your preferences are obviously different, and that's fine.

-- hide signature --

As the length of a thread approaches 150, the probability that someone will make the obvious "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" remark approaches 1.
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) +26 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow