Does the new R5 change your roadmap?

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 7,157
Re: Forget the R5, look at the 24-105mm f/4.0-7.1

nnowak wrote:

The new RF 24-105mm f/4.0-7.1 is the same length as the EF-M 18-150mm and only marginally fatter and heavier. The new 24-105mm f/4.0-7.1 lens sounds slow, but if this was a crop lens, it would be equivalent to a 15-65mm f/2.5-4.5. Who here wouldn't love a 15-65mm f/2.5-4.5 lens for the M system?

Maybe, but I'd take the M6II with 18-150 over the RP with the new 24-105 any day.  The RP has around 2/3 stop ISO advantage over the M6II, so, in the overlapping parts of the zoom range, you're getting maybe 1/3-1/2 stop IS advantage. If I had to have a camera with just one lens, I'd much rather have the large performance advantages of the M6II, and the considerable extra range on the long end of the 18-150, than the fairly trivial ISO advantages of the RP and the extra wide-angle end of the 24-105. Actually, if I had to have a camera with just one lens, I'd probably opt for the M6II with either 22 F2 or 32 F1.4 over either of those choices. But, luckily for me, I don't have to have a camera with just one lens (that's the beauty of an ILC). I would love to have an R5, and some nice R lenses (though I already have plenty of EF lenses, including some L lenses, which I could use on it). But I'd probably still use my M6II more, because I take it with me pretty much everywhere I go, sometimes with just the 22 F2 on it.

-- hide signature --

As the length of a thread approaches 150, the probability that someone will make the obvious "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" remark approaches 1.
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) +26 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow