R5 IBIS doesn't work with EF lens IS?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
OP Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 13,634
Re: R5 IBIS doesn't work with EF lens IS?

John Sheehy wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

At least, that's what this seems to imply (my emphasis):

"... a high-performance coordinated image stabilization (IS) system that integrates the camera's in-body IS with IS systems on attached RF lenses."

Hopefully it will at least be possible (and easy) to choose between lens IS or sensor IS. While I'm very pleased that the R5 has IBIS, if I can't use the excellent 5-stop optical IS in my 600 I'll be pretty miffed.

System can't blindly engage two independent stabilization functions. If they overlap in their corrections, they uncorrect the corrections, while adding two sources of jitter (imperfections in the stabilization). In order to have lens IS and IBIS on at the same time, the system must be able to assign individual aspects of correction to only one of the two stabilizations. So, IBIS could only work in conjunction with Canon's single-instruction EF lens IS by IBIS only using motion corrections not addressed by the lens IS.

I'm not sure if Canon EF lenses tell the body that the IS is even used,

I posted about that somewhere - IS on/off and Mode are not in the EXIF data, even with the most recent EF bodies and lenses, which suggests (but doesn't prove) that the information is not communicated.

so the body may only allow IS power or not allow it, while never knowing if it is even used.

Having had a bit more time to think about this, what it will boil down to for me is the need to switch painlessly between the different lens/body IS permutations, and in a way which I am unlikely to forget to do when switching lenses in a hurry.

I am sure Canon will have provided a solution - I just hate being in this position of not knowing!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow