The trend continues

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
yray
yray Senior Member • Posts: 2,095
Re: The trend continues

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

yray wrote:

wide open, very well may be.

Even Nikon indirectly admit it is so, with several Nikon screwdriver AF lenses wide open. Nikon do not provide f8 performance detail but these older lenses generally have a lot of catching up to get near but not equal by f8, compared to a later AF-S lens and then again to an S lens.

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/f-mount/singlefocal/normal/af_50mmf_14d/index.htm

I appreciate some prefer the "look" of some older lenses of not recording fine detail with reasonable contrast, or sometimes not resolving fine detail at all.

So shoot an f/1.4 lens at f/2, or an f/2 lens at f/2.5. Maybe even an f/2.8 lens at f/3.5 or f/4. Usually not such a big deal for most practical purposes.

It depends where you set the line for a "big deal" - which is your choice.

Several of the older screwdriver lens were OK in the centre with film, and contribute to more image detail on recent high MP cameras, but still fall well short of AF-s or Z performance combined with a recent camera.

All of these statements might be true but not necessarily meaningful unless one either crops a lot, prints very large, or has pixel peeping as a favorite pastime. What I find ironic is that I encountered more than once on this forum that some of the same folks who criticize older cameras and lenses are raving about new smartphones. Ironic because no smartphone I came across, including the latest iPhone 11, lets you pixel peep, once you zoom in far enough, it becomes pure mush.

The bottom line from my point of view is that one has the option of trading the old lens look for a new lens resolution. Is this a good bargain? — I don’t know, matter of personal preference, and probably warrants a case by case review even if one is willing to spend.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow