Does the new R5 change your roadmap?

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 14,883
Re: CANON R5 brings the EOS R system into MATURITY

Marco Nero wrote:

The new EOS R5 is exactly what Canon said they were creating. The IBIS and Dual Slots is what makes the R5 a camera worthy of risk (being new) for a Professional photographer. It now meets the expectations and the needs of those needing motivation to drop DSLR FF for Mirrorless FF. The announcement of the R5 finally pushed the R system into a MATURE Full Frame model. I've been waiting for this day although I expected it to happen about 11 months or so from now.

• Newly designed CMOS sensor (likely 40MP)
  • In-camera image stabilization
  • 20fps continuous shooting (silent shutter)
  • 12ps continuous shooting (mechanical shutter)
  • 8K video capture
  • Twin card slots

EOS R5

The new RF 100-500mm lens coupled with the new RF 1.4x and RF 2x Extenders is a very big deal. This is the equivalent to the EF alternatives and the 100-400mm lens. By adding another 100mm to the lens to make it 500mm, and by adding two Extenders, the R System is a pretty serious program.

f7.1 is not serious for some

There's really no excuse not to buy one.

price is an excuse

And with the new lens running up to 500mm plus Extenders, that makes the demand for an APS-C model of the EOS R considerably less.

RF 100-500mm - will benefit from IBIS since it's an f/4.5-7.1 lens instead of f/4.5-5.6

RF 1.4x Extender

RF 2x Extender

As I said last year, the R system is (was) still immature until an IBIS model with dual slots is released for professional use. We're finally there. Canon now have four EOS R models available for consumers:
* EOS R - Basic Model (immature)
* EOS RP - Lower Priced limited features.
* EOS Ra - Modified Sensor for Astrophotography
* EOS R5 - Pro-end model (mature model)
We also know Canon has experimented with a practical model containing an APS-C sensor but have allegedly claimed to have abandoned the idea. Could they return to this experiment? Perhaps. But I'd say that day is a long way off or they would have released an APS-C version with the R5. As I have stated before, Canon don't experiment with the market - unlike some other manufacturers. They don't like to waste time or assets without a very clear road-map ahead. But this new model will ensure that future EOS M models will likely have IBIS. The technology and even some of the design aspects will trickle down to their other product lines.
There's still no need or motivation for Canon to want to produce an APS-C version of the R. Such a move is still in the realm of fantasy for pixel-peepers wanting to consolidate or wanting to use RF lenses that were mathematically designed to function with Full Frame sensors. The EOS M6 II is Canon's first mature APS-C mirrorless camera and its reputation and respect by reviewers and owners will more than likely force Canon to reconsider the lens designs of future M lenses to ensure higher clarity and resolution. Canon would be more likely to scrap all APS-C models and devote their manufacturing to just Full Frame rather than continue to make APS-C cameras. Look at the price of the RP (which is very close to the price of the M6 II) to appreciate why that's more likely than continuing to make APS-C. With the manufacturing cost leveling out, it may not really be in Canon's interest to keep making M cameras with the RP being capable of even more scale reduction.

bingo

It's a good day to be alive. The R cameras finally have something for everyone. Oddly enough, I can still get more zoom on an APS-C sensor with my 100-400mmL II lens with both extenders (1,803.2mm equiv) compared to a Full Frame R with the new 100-400mm + 2 extenders (1400mm). But the new Full Frame alternative is very appealing regardless.

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS RP +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow