Canon R5 - 8 k & 20 fps camera - there we go - or not?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 16,012
Re: bleeding or not - the market is shrinking

joger wrote:

In short - I expect the pricing level of the R5 to be at least at the level of the A9 II or above. This is a niche of a niche market.

This reminds me of when you said the A7III was a stupid concept and that Sony would never do it, only looking to focus on something like an A9R instead. This was 2 or so years ago?

Canon knows what's at stake here. They peeled a lot of Sony people away with the deep holiday discounts last year. They also know someone who buys a camera like this is probably going to spend 1-3x as much on glass, where they are not as aggressive on pricing (and prob have a good bit of margin). Plus there is precedent for pricing on bodies like this. D850, Z7, A7R4, S1R, all around $3400 at launch. If this thing costs more than $4K I will be shocked. I think Canon saw what happened with the R and 6D2 and doesn't want that to happen again. They would rather peel more customers from competitors and make up margin on glass than scare buyers off with sticker shock.

It is telling that you think this camera is worth 1DX money But Canon won't do that; I am pretty sure they know better. They have been in the back seat on innovation and probably want to recapture the crown once again, and show that high tech doesn't have to come with the sacrifice of bad ergonomics and inconsistent lens quality/value.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow