Specs or performance, which is most important?

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 8,861
Re: Specs or performance, which is most important?

Adrian Harris wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

Adrian Harris wrote:

Regarding the new em1-mk3, many people here are criticising the new camera for its stated specs. However as a heavy user and in many branches of photography what I see are many improvements that look like they will make a substantial difference to obtaining superb results from an already incredible camera.

To those who are more concerned about paper specsheets than photos I understand your disappointment. But for those out in the field that have to bring back results this new camera looks like a real winner.

On what are we to base our pre-purchase assessment Adrian ?

We have the published specs and the opinions of reviewers, and hopefully soon we’ll get reports from owners who are not affiliated with Olympus Corp.

So far I see nothing that tells me the camera does CAF-Tr any better than the Mark II, or that its PDAF with the legacy 4/3 lenses is any faster or more precise.

In order to try it in the field I’d have to take a risk and buy one. If the specs jumped right up and told me that the basic camera was much better then I would take that risk. But as it stands it just looks like a Mark 2 with some new features I don’t need.

So not much enthusiasm here

peter

Fortunately in the UK we have Olympus try out days, there is one 40 miles away tomorrow, and another 10 miles away in about 8 days. So I'll have a chance to test it then.

But one of the things that specs won't necessarily tell us is how much the new processor may help us obtain even better images than we already can achieve. I think the current jog engine is amazing even at high ISO, hopefully it may even improve on it. I used to process from RAW, but haven't bothered since owning the em1-mk2.

Here in Australia we have little chance to try things before buying, and the common 'buy and return' option available in some countries is simply not an option here. So I need to decide based on the specs, reviews and user reports.

Peter

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
chp
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow