Z firmware

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Joop_S Forum Member • Posts: 76
Re: Z firmware

Jay A wrote:

edispics wrote:

Jay A wrote:

DallasJack wrote:

Is there a problem with QXD cards that I am not aware of? Just curious.

Jack

The problem that I have is not that there are any issues with XQD or CFexpress cards. It's with the fact that we now live in a world of planned obsolescence. One in which a manufacturer can make a product that cost thousands of dollars obsolete with a quick firmware upgrade.

Uh no ... upgrades extend the life of a product and delay obsolescence.

You're missing my point. It's not that I am against upgrades, I am actually stating that I hope they DO upgrade the firmware to fix the CFExpress incompatibility. This thread has been about the fact that many are suggesting that Nikon may not upgrade the firmware in this camera anymore. If that is so, it leaves me with a $3000 camera that I purchased in good faith under the impression that it would support CFExpress, not that it would support CFExpress with only Sony cards. THAT'S my beef.

I agree with only Sony cards. But you miss a point. The FW update let CFE cards work as a XQD card and not as a full speed CFE card. Now buying a CFE card make you ready for the next camera with full CFE support. Look at the D6, it is 2 CFE cards or 2 XQD cards. With 1 CFE and 1 XQD is works as it are 2 XQD cards if it is programmed to do so or it work not. On this moment I will not buy a CFE card, but want to buy a XQD/CFE reader so I am ready if I have a camera with CFE speed.

In Europe Sony has not bring out CFE cards, so I can wait til Nikon test other CFE brands if it wil work as a XQD card. I am sure that this other brands work in the D6 as full speed CFE, they are not programmed to work as XQD like the Sony.

Joop_S's gear list:Joop_S's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow