Does the new R5 change your roadmap?

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
Ed Rizk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,833
Re: Does the new R5 change your roadmap?

No, but the new compact zoom really does.

R2D2 wrote:

The specs on the new R5 look like a it's going to be a real paradigm shifter...

I was expecting great things from the higher end R.  This one might just exceed expectations.

Still, it doesn't change my calculation on whether to go with an M for travel or an M overall, for that matter.  It only means that the best of the best gets better.  The miniature RF zoom does.  There are also some patents for RF pancake lenses.

What does an R travel kit look like in a year?

Canon R5 announcement at DPReview

R5 details at B&H

Do you think Canon is moving in a new direction (esp with the inclusion of IBIS)? Will any of these goodies trickle down to the M-System? Will there BE a future M-System? What will your next upgrades be...

I'm not really itching to upgrade my R.   As far as my maximum IQ efforts go, I don't NEED anything.  I would get an interesting macro lens, like the TSE 135 or the 180 before upgrading the camera body.

My one area of dissatisfaction is traveling by plane or on foot.  I like to make quick trips and carry all my luggage on, sometimes.  I also like to Uber into places that are hard and expensive to park near.   That means either carrying a very limited setup or getting a smaller system.  But now, it could also mean just getting some smaller lenses.

I love my M6ii. Nothing else out there is as small and light, with such great bang for the buck. Will there be an M6iii?

R2

It still looks good.  The M6ii is still going to be smaller with a selection of lenses.  But could the R lenses become small enough.  The size of the body doesn't matter so much, once you bring more than one or two lenses.   I do fine with the R and the 24-105 and the 35.  That covers the basics, but it doesn't do anything really interesting.

-- hide signature --

Ed Rizk

Ed Rizk's gear list:Ed Rizk's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow