RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM and RF extenders

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
gimp_dad Senior Member • Posts: 1,857
Re: RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM and RF extenders

BirdShooter7 wrote:

In my experience very few people are going for the $10k lens, not just because of the cost but also the weight. It’s why Sigma and Tamron have sold so many 150-600’s. You get all the way to 600 and it doesn’t cost a huge amount and is still pretty manageable weight. I think that’s the sweet spot and would have lived to see what Canon could have done with it, I’m sure it would have been excellent. Instead we get this half-measure.

I hope they build a 200-600 non L to compete with the Sigma.  I have the 150-600C but prefer the 100-400LII even with 1.4x compared to the sigma for when I really want light weight. I just realized I lent out the sigma to a friend a year ago and forgot it was gone.

The other bridge between $2.5k and $10k is the excellent EF400/4DOII. That's the tele lens I use the most and for birding I virtually always have at least my 1.4x attached as well (or sometimes 2x in bright daylight). Its a much better answer than a complex, expensive and heavy zoom which uses high end glass elements but still would end up with lower IQ IMHO.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow