Another case of the E-M5iii tripod mount failing

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
cba_melbourne Senior Member • Posts: 1,745
Re: Plastic-c-c-c-c-c-c

LoneTree1 wrote:

whumber wrote:

LoneTree1 wrote:

Except there are no long-fibre plastics used in "civilian" cameras. Only professional video camera bodies, that I've seen.

I wouldn't even have expected to see them in professional video cameras. Good to know though.

I saw it at a mostly video equipment show in late summer. I didn't bother to check the camera out as I'm not a video-shooter much, but I can say the part that was carbon fiber was rounded, no sharp corners.

Be careful though. It has become fashionable to mimic the looks long fiber carbon in all sorts of consumer goods. For example my wife had a brand name horse riding helmet sold for some 150 US$, with an almost perfect looking carbon fiber weave pattern printed on it. From half a meter away one would say wow, a +$500 CF helmet . Other very common fake carbon items are car parts, pens, even some laptop pc panels.

I have cut myself sheets of real woven carbon stuff, it was cover panels for an x-ray chest stand about 1x1 meter and only 0.5mm thick. I thought easy, a 20 minute job. It's hell of hard work even with a diamond grinding wheel. That stuff is not only expensive to manufacture, its also very time consuming to work with. And as someone said, if a lose fiber gets into your flesh... you will curse this material.

cba_melbourne's gear list:cba_melbourne's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow