Another case of the E-M5iii tripod mount failing

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
400trix
400trix Contributing Member • Posts: 846
Do Not Over Torque!

I’ve seen all sorts of things crushed by too much torque: carbon steer tubes, seat posts, handlebars. Come to think of it, almost everything that can be made out of carbon can be crushed by too much torque. And another term for carbon fiber parts is plastic. Cameras are no different.

As Jan pointed out, the squishy rubber of the PD plate gives the bolt an opportunity to deform the tripod mount. You want something that’s going to have a solid mating surface if you’re going to use Capture Clip. It really is a usage outside what the part is intended for. If you do insist on using it with the E-M5.3, you have to be very, very careful with torque. Get a TorqueKey or something, just to be sure. Maybe the folks at PD could test an E-M5.3 to destruction to figure out what a good torque setting is.

If I were Olympus, I’d probably quietly revise the bottom plate for the next batch. But this is a misuse. It’s just on many cameras it isn’t a problem. On the E-M5.3, it is.

-- hide signature --

Archer in Boulder
God loves the noise just as much as the signal.

400trix's gear list:400trix's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow