What will be the must-have features of 2020s?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TripleCoatedBokeh
TripleCoatedBokeh Regular Member • Posts: 244
What will be the must-have features of 2020s?

What kind of innovations do you think we will see this decade?

IMO, I think there is still a lot of features to be squeezed out of digital cameras.  I believe we are at a point where software can define more of how a camera operates than traditional physical limitations (much of this has already begun with IMLC bodies completely ditching the shutter, pentaprism, etc.).  I think technology has been pushed in the obvious directions of higher IQ, higher DR, more MP, sharpness, and lens error-correction baked into the bodies of all the high-end DSLR and IMLC cameras.  What I think current cameras lack is innovative use of the technology built into them.  For example, a recent thread discussed use IBIS to emulate the functionality of a tilt/shift lens by shifting the sensor.  This kind of idea is pretty cool, imo.  This function would obviously require input from the user, but would mostly be a software/firmware solution rather than hardware.  I think cameras could better utilize  IBIS technology to improve focus stacking as well.  I know some camera makers have released some similar functionality, such as Fuji focus stacking, Olympus tripod-free multi-shot high-res modes, and others.  As sensors become more capable towards "e-global shutter", eliminating rolling shutter and banding, will there be other capabilities, like 30/45/60 fps?  Do you think there are other features and technology that can be software defined that will drive innovation through this decade or will be seeing more of the usual dynamic range and pixel density increases?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow