Another case of the E-M5iii tripod mount failing

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 8,775
YES it is Olympus' fault

HRC2016 wrote:

I don't see how this is Olympus' fault. Users are using the tripod mount for something for which it is not designed. It's a tripod mount. Does this not securely mount the camera on a tripod?

Just because after-market products can use this threaded hole does not mean they should.

Certainly, if Olympus wanted to redesign this area (knowing about these after market producfs), it has that option. Alternatively, there could be a warning in their owners manual about not using the tripod-mount hole to attach the camera to a strap. There may already be a warning.

I've refrained from hanging my camera by the tripod mount for this very reason - it's not designed for this use.

It's not a safety issue. A recall isn't warranted, in my opinion.

I appreciate the OP and others speaking up, to alert other users of these types of issues. None of us want to see a damaged camera, but when one is damaged we should look in the right direction for the cause and solution.

I recently saw an OLYMPUS promotional image showing a person climbing/abseiling with the E-M5 III clipped to a harness via its tripod socket.

And there is this
https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/accessories/camera/cases-straps/full-beard-black-leather-crossbody-strap.html
which is an OLYMPUS accessory designed for attachment to the tripod socket.

So OLYMPUS is clearly promoting the tripod socket for use other than the traditional tripod scenario with static loading.

The dynamic loading of the socket and what seems to be limited internal support - inadequate structure and/or inappropriate materials - can (and has been demonstrated to) result in flexing of the plastic -> fatigue -> failure. One member here even reported that he could see the base flexing when he mounted the camera on a tripod.

This suggests that OLYMPUS, with the change from metal in the Mk II to plastic in the Mk III, did not give enough consideration to the new structural properties of the camera base and almost certainly did not subject the design to rigorous testing.

Peter

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow