cba_melbourne Senior Member • Posts: 1,745
Re: Plastic-c-c-c-c-c-c

whumber wrote:

cba_melbourne wrote:

whumber wrote:

cba_melbourne wrote:

whumber wrote:

LoneTree1 wrote:

I was looking at a diagram that illustrated plastic's strength and toughness versus metal. Lets just say plastic is woefully poor compared to even soft metals like magnesium. You get what you p--, er, you get what Olympus can afford to put out today.

Depends on how the plastic is reinforced. Long-fiber reinforced plastics compare very well against many metals. I remember somebody even found one that specifically advertised mechanical properties similar to cast magnesium. Unfortunately Olympus is not using something like that for the E-M5iii. In another thread, someone was brave enough to partially disassemble an E-M5iii and found that the plastic used is a lower end glass fiber reinforced plastic. It's not really possible for us to know exactly what's causing the issue though without taking these things apart further. It could be that the design itself is fine and there's a defect in the PD plates causing it. Or some assembly defect with the tripod mount. I don't think you can immediately blame the plastic with what little information we have.

We should really stop talking about long-fibre reinforced plastic as used in aircraft and race cars. These are all FAR FAR TO EXPENSIVE to be considered in mass produced consumer cameras. It's just NOT A REALISTC OPTION. Of course it would be nice and it would be good, but nobody would want to pay that price.

There are long fiber reinforced injection molded plastics on the market now. These are different from more traditional carbon fiber sheet layups used in high performance applications which would be completely unrealistic for use in cameras due to the cost and intricate shapes required.

Interesting. I did not know that. How long are these "long" fibers? I mean, still like powder to the eye, or millimeters?

The plastic used in the EM5.3 is PC-GC10. Just 10% glass powder, where mixtures up to 50% glass are readily and cheaply available. Not even carbon powder, which costs a little more. So clearly, in this instance, plastic use was all about manufacturing cost saving.

In the example I saw the fibers appeared to be 4-6cm long but that was for a fairly large part.

Very interesting. I could imagine Porsche bumpers being made that way... not Toyota's though

For cameras, I guess we are stuck with powder reinforced PC on the low end or Magnesium on the high end. Machined titanium all the way for the very high luxury end (Leica, Alpa/Phase1 with real wood grips....)_

cba_melbourne's gear list:cba_melbourne's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow