RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM and RF extenders

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
OP frisbfreek Regular Member • Posts: 119
Re: RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM and RF extenders

richardperson wrote:

frisbfreek wrote:

I just had a thought... are the extenders EF to RF with extender? I can’t tell from the pictures whether it’s a red stick or a red dot on the top. But the protrusion into the lens makes a lot more sense if it’s going directly into existing EF telephotos. Or at least one can hope that a true RF extender won’t protrude into the lens...

That would be great, but I don't think it is. If it was it seems like you would need 3/4" for the RF-EF part, like the adapters and then the glass for the 1.4x. This one looks too skinny and I haven't heard anyone mention EF in relation to it.

Ok I think you’re right. Actually in comparing the RF ones to the EF extenders, they protrude a lot more!

It makes me think that any RF great whites will have back focus distances similar to that of EF lenses... not much advantage over EF lenses then?? Also in that case, I could imagine these working with EF telephotos in the form of:

RF camera - RF extender - EF-RF adapter - EF lens

I can’t imagine there would be anything to gain in this configuration vs switching the order of the extender and adapter though.

frisbfreek's gear list:frisbfreek's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow