Specs or performance, which is most important?

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 4,123
Re: Specs or performance, which is most important?

Messier Object wrote:

Gary from Seattle wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

Denjw wrote:

I see a number of improvements/additions which will make the EM1.3 a more well rounded camera than the EM1.2.

But performance is the overriding factor.

For me its the performance in the AF system which will be the key to whether I consider it a worthwhile upgrade.

Olympus continually pump up the AF performance when they release each E-M1 iteration.

From Olympus press release:

"High Speed Sequential Shooting

"This camera is equipped with 121-point all cross-type On-chip Phase Detection AF sensor for tracking subjects across a wide range quickly and accurately. AF information from recorded images is also used even during sequential shooting, more easily tracking subjects that move unpredictably. It offers 75% vertical coverage and 80% horizontal coverage of the screen for a wide focusing area. Paired with the advanced AF algorithm, this feature can continually focus on fast-moving subjects with a high degree of precision. Unlike DSLR cameras, there is no degradation in AF precision when using a fast lens."

I look forward to reviews confirming this but I fear it will still lag behind other format mirrorless competitors like Sony.

Dennis, I’ve already read one of the reviews (PetaPixel ?) where the Tr Mode was dismissed as not very usable and the reviewer switched back to ordinary CAF Mode. That to me sounds like the Mark II all over again. After all this time have they not got it to work ???

After 2 major updates of the Mark II, then the X and now the Mark III I reckon OLYMPUS has had ample time for testing and development to achieve a truly superb camera. And each time we just get the same - nice pics from Iceland or Costa Rica and a lot of talk about IBIS improvement and HRes mode.

I get the feeling that Olympus has hit their ceiling, and the other makers have a lot more headroom.

Next time you get a feeling be sure to let us know.

next time you have nothing but a nasty remark be sure not to post

You are covering your rear end. You said without any knowledge, just speculation that had nothing to do with the subject of the OP and no relevance and I quote:

"I get the feeling that Olympus has hit their ceiling, and the other makers have a lot more headroom."

peter

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
chp
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow