Another case of the E-M5iii tripod mount failing

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
whumber
OP whumber Senior Member • Posts: 2,915
Re: Plastic-c-c-c-c-c-c

LoneTree1 wrote:

I was looking at a diagram that illustrated plastic's strength and toughness versus metal. Lets just say plastic is woefully poor compared to even soft metals like magnesium. You get what you p--, er, you get what Olympus can afford to put out today.

Depends on how the plastic is reinforced. Long-fiber reinforced plastics compare very well against many metals. I remember somebody even found one that specifically advertised mechanical properties similar to cast magnesium. Unfortunately Olympus is not using something like that for the E-M5iii. In another thread, someone was brave enough to partially disassemble an E-M5iii and found that the plastic used is a lower end glass fiber reinforced plastic. It's not really possible for us to know exactly what's causing the issue though without taking these things apart further. It could be that the design itself is fine and there's a defect in the PD plates causing it. Or some assembly defect with the tripod mount. I don't think you can immediately blame the plastic with what little information we have.

whumber's gear list:whumber's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow