Another case of the E-M5iii tripod mount failing

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
whumber
OP whumber Senior Member • Posts: 2,915
Re: Not Olympus fault

JustTheDad wrote:

whumber wrote:

JustTheDad wrote:

If your tripod mount has a soft rubber pad surrounded by a hard edge, and you compress the rubber pad to a point where the hard plastic edge is touching the base, then tightening more pulls down on the tripod screw. You can exert a lot of force on something that way. Probably more than just the weight of the camera bouncing around on a strap. The flex it will inflict is limited compared to the strap mount, but it materials fatigue, the plastic may be too brittle...

For a given tightening torque, the tension felt by the tripod mount is not going to be any different if it's metal on metal or if there's a rubber layer in between.

That's not necessarily true. If you have a hard plate that is in contact with the base of the camera, you are pressing the camera and the plate together.

If you have a soft pad surrounded by hard edges, then you are pulling the female threaded part out of the camera. It's essentially a bearing extractor.

I see what you're saying, and while the design of the plate seems to be intended to prevent that I can image manufacturing tolerance issues creating that scenario. In my plate, the rubber insert is inset into a carved out hollow in the plate with the majority of the rubber being flush with the surface and small rubber ridges, about 1mm tall, sticking up. The rubber ridges compress very easily and can be compressed flush by just pushing against them by hand with something like an allen key. The important point to prevent your bearing extractor idea, is that there are 4 little platforms that are not milled out from the original plate immediately surrounding the tripod socket. This is the part of the plate that really carries most of the clamping stress with the rest of the rubber just acting as anti-twist. The metal edge around the perimeter of the plate very slightly below the inner platforms, maybe 0.1-0.2 mm difference.

I can image a plate manufactured where the hard edge around the perimeter of the plate is actually slightly higher than the little platforms in the center and causing extra stress on the tripod mount.

EDIT: Looks like in the newer plates they've lowered the outer metal rim further.

whumber's gear list:whumber's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow