RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM and RF extenders

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
Bhotoz Senior Member • Posts: 1,229
Re: RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM and RF extenders

BirdShooter7 wrote:

So I’m guessing this thing is going to cost at least $2000 when it comes out. You have to be fairly serious to fork that much out for a lens.

I’m not sure what you mean by the enthusiast market but I deal with tons of hobbyists and they are already struggling with f/6.3 at 600mm and want faster (boy don’t want to pay for it or carry the weight of an f/4...). I know a lot that bought the 1.4x to use on their 100-400 mk2’s but largely leave it at home because f/8 is too slow. This is sort of the same deal, you don’t quite get the 560mm and you don’t quite take the speed hit of f/8. It’s sort of a wash but at least you get the high speed display with this lens so there is that.

I still don’t really understand who this lens is for.

For those who want long Canon zoom, but who are not willing or capable to buy those fast and heavy 10+k lenses.

I've now shot static birds (also) with R + Sigma 150-600C, and find it great combo. I haven't had much chance to shoot BIF with it yet, but I'm expecting it won't be as good for BIF as 100-400ii or 400 5.6L is, because it's Sigma and not Canon. I'll see that soon after couple of months. But that lens is quite heavy to handhold for longer time for me. It's also big, so it takes a lot of space in your bag. If RF 100-500 is really good optically, I'm propably willing to trade my Sigma (and other older long lenses) for RF 100-500. I would lose a bit of light and reach, but I'd get smaller and lighter lens with better AF, better IS, and high speed display. I'm one of those who will never buy 500-600 f4 lens, because of weight, size and price, so I have to do some compromizes. Luckily we have choices.

You seem to understand only the lenses YOU are interested in?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow