RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM and RF extenders

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
gimp_dad Senior Member • Posts: 1,857
Re: I missed the part where Canon claimed this was a birding lens

ProDude wrote:

gimp_dad wrote:

Looks like a great lens for amateur soccer parents (or grandparents) and a light weight alternative when lighting is great to begin to learn BIF, etc. That's basically the same role the 100-400/LII played in my development as a wildlife shooter. Light weight and relatively cheap compared to big whites, it helped me learn as long as I used it in daylight.

Now I more rarely use the 100-400/LII because for sports and wildlife I prefer 400/4DOII or 400/2.8LIS with various TCs. But I wouldn't have invested in those if I didn't learn on a mid-level product. And I still go out once in a while with the 100-400 (or the Nikon 500pf) when I want light weight and portability at the expense of lower light speed.

I have to say since I began my photographic desires with Canon back in 1999 I have YET to see anyone (having seen and known a fair number) of those that owned 100-400's over the years EVER use that particular lens in less than halfway decent light (almost always in GOOD light actually) so I have no idea why all issues expressed regarding it's potential being a great lens overall.

Agreed. In Modest light (even golden hour) it is a recipe for disappointment if used for sports.or BIF.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow