Another case of the E-M5iii tripod mount failing

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 16,323
Re: Not Olympus fault

HRC2016 wrote:

I don't see how this is Olympus' fault. Users are using the tripod mount for something for which it is not designed. It's a tripod mount. Does this not securely mount the camera on a tripod?

Just because after-market products can use this threaded hole does not mean they should.

Certainly, if Olympus wanted to redesign this area (knowing about these after market producfs), it has that option. Alternatively, there could be a warning in their owners manual about not using the tripod-mount hole to attach the camera to a strap. There may already be a warning.

I've refrained from hanging my camera by the tripod mount for this very reason - it's not designed for this use.

It's not a safety issue. A recall isn't warranted, in my opinion.

I appreciate the OP and others speaking up, to alert other users of these types of issues. None of us want to see a damaged camera, but when one is damaged we should look in the right direction for the cause and solution.

True.  This is obviously a limitation of the OM5 III so if you use a Capture Clip or any other device that uses the tripod socket to carry the camera, DO NOT BUY THE OM5 III!   It is not built strong enough for that use.  Also, if the camera is attached to a tripod, do not carry the tripod with camera attached because, again, it is not designed for that use!  Similarly, don't attach a mini tripod with the expectation that you can use it for doing some handheld vlogging because "it is not designed for that use!"  Actually, you CAN use it for vlogging that way but for God's sake DO NOT hold the mini tripod horizontally because the tripod socket "is not designed for that use!"

If you're going to insist on abusing your camera in that way, then I urge you to buy something that's better built.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow