24-200mm --Let's get real

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fad
fad Forum Pro • Posts: 18,038
24-200mm --Let's get real

This seems like a serious walk around lens and a big upgrade from the 28-300. I enjoyed the latter, but used it very rarely.

The 28-300mm was good enough for Jay Maisel, however. It would have be good enough for most of what I do but was a bit awkward and not as wide, or as light gathering, as the other normal zooms.

The 24-200:

• Is wider at 24mm on the Z7 and Z6
  • Is 300mm cropped on the Z7 (and Z50)
  • Undoubtedly will have better IQ, given the MTF's and Nikon's recent lens releases.
  • Will have better VR
  • Is half a pound lighter
  • Is shorter and less wide
  • Is $50 cheaper at list price.

For me it will replace the Tamron 35-150 for when I want more reach in street.

• Is wider at 24mm on the Z7 and Z6
  • Is 300mm cropped on the Z7 (and Z50)
  • Perhaps will have better IQ, given the MTF's and Nikon's recent lens releases.
  • Is 13oz lighter
  • Is 3.5" shorter and less wide
  • Is $50 more expensive at list price at launch.

In addition, improvements in sensors, in processing software, in photographer skill make it more feasible to shoot in low light with smaller apertures year by year.

Compared to where I was with say the D3s or the D800 or the D750 and the 28-300,  there is a big difference in the flexibility, capability and the comfort in carrying the Z7 and the 24-200.

The Z system is getting stronger for street with the Z7 and the Z50, the two excellent kit zooms, the 50/1.8S, the 24-70/2.8 and now the 24-200.    Add the two small primes, and I might almost forgive Nikon for not making a pancake prime.

A Z with D6 low light and AF, would be a nice addition at some point, if it ever comes.

-- hide signature --

Frank
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/
Photos look better in Original Size
Shot in downtown Manhattan, mostly

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D4S Nikon D750 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +24 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow