Does the new R5 change your roadmap?

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
nolten Regular Member • Posts: 455
Re: Does the new R5 change your roadmap?

I've been reading about the new R5 and the RF 100-500 L in another forum. Interesting combo especially if you add the RF 24-105 L. If I were just venturing into digital and committed to Canon, I might give this setup some thought. Especially if I had a bunch of alt and non-IS primes I liked to play with.

OTOH, I've been putting my Canon digital kit together since 2003. I now have the suite of f4 L IS zooms, including the 100-400 L II, and a range of IS primes. I also have what I think are the best EF-S lenses. Last year I dipped into the M lineup with the M6II, 11-22 and 28 macro plus EF adapter. If I were really into non-IS primes, I think the offerings for the M system are hard to beat. My current active camera bodies are listed below.

Looking at my decade and a half of digital images on my 5K computer display and 4K TV, I can't see any real stills IQ improvement since my original 5D + 24-105 + 100-400. The original 5D has enough pixels to feed a 4K TV and the 5D2 to feed a 5K iMac. Certainly the features and usability of cameras have gotten better over time as has the frame rate. The 5D4 is far better in every way than the original 5D. The IQ of APS-C sensor bodies has seen dramatic improvement IMHO where the sensor and lens of my G1X3 is nipping at the heals of my 6D2 + 24-70 f4 L.

So I have to ask myself what would any of the R cameras give me that the my current ones don't? I'll never need more than 30 MP and 24 is plenty. Unless I invest in RF lenses I won't see any weight advantage and then minimal. One of my biggest complaints about the M6 is that using the lens adapter is a hassle and defeats its size advantage over DSLR alternatives. The M6II with EVF, adapter and 55-250 is the same weight, length and height as the 77D with the same lens. The 55-250 is a small lens but hang the M adapter on it and its nearly the size and weight of a 70-300.

Still, I like the M6II and with the 70-300 IS II lens yields images nearly as good as my 5D4 + 100-400 II + 1.4x. Would the R5 + 100-500 be any better? It would certainly cost me many thousands to find out. -- So has the R system changed my road map? Yes indeed, I've come to the parking area at the end of the road. My current kit is the one I'll be living, and happy with! for the foreseeable future. Well, I might experiment with some of the non-IS M primes.

nolten's gear list:nolten's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow