Does the new R5 change your roadmap?

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
rick9814911 Regular Member • Posts: 129
Re: Does the new R5 change your roadmap?

jkcz wrote:

rick9814911 wrote:

It doesn't really change anything for me. I had the RP and with the lenses it was just too heavy, and not enough of a jump in image quality to make it worth it. The M50 is still my favorite camera.

I do wish Canon would focus on the M system at least a little. Who knows if it has a solid future. I think Canon would be pretty dumb to give up on the M system, unless they made an APS-C version of the R mount.

I've been watching the RP prices drop (especially used) and paired with the new RF24-105 and RF35 prime it could be an interesting little setup. I don't think the increase in size would be such a big deal for me and that zoom paired with FF could be a better option than any native EF-M zoom currently available. Which lenses did you compare with on your M50 and RP? Or were you not comparing low light capabilities or AF?

I had the RF 35mm, 50mm STM and 40mm STM. The RF 24-105 is certainly better than any native zoom available on the M system, it's not exactly light though. I do stick with primes mostly. The EF-M 32mm is my main lens. In order to match that quality on the RP I would need the Sigma 50mm Art or the 50mm 1.2l. The RF 50mm is way too heavy and way too expensive for me. All three are just too heavy to be worth it for me.

The lowlight performance was of course better on the RP, but not mind blowingly better. I found the shallow depth of field a disadvantage in low light. I very often had to stop down to get what I wanted in focus, making the higher ISO performance not all that helpful.

The autofocus in lowlight and eye AF was better on the RP as well, but still not bad on the M50, and the M6 Mark ii should be pretty close to the RP.

If I shot professionaly I would have stuck with the RP. But I just don't enjoy carrying around full frame lenses. The lower quality primes can be fairly light. But the high quality full frame glass is not cheap, and typically very heavy.

Edit: I also had the 85mm 1.8 and 100mm macro. Great looking images, but again, pretty heavy. And didn't blow me away.

rick9814911's gear list:rick9814911's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS RP Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow