Z firmware

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
SteveCooper
SteveCooper Senior Member • Posts: 1,330
Re: Z firmware

Patience is required, both for further firmware updates, and patience for learning the AF system.

I have a Z7, D500 and Z6, purchased in that order (the Z6 after Version 2.20 came out).

If you haven't purchased Thom Hogan's ebook on the Z6 & Z7, I highly suggest you do so and then as you are reading it, practice using the AF.

Yes, the AF works differently than Nikon's DSLRs. Yes it is not perfect, but what camera is? If I can learn how to shoot wildlife with a Z7, I am certain that you can get plenty of keepers with your Z6. It took me about a week of 4 hours each day to get used to my Z.

I also shoot BIF (Birds In Flight), and while my Z7 CAN do it, I wanted the D500 for that specific application. I'm happy with that decision - it is faster and I get more "keepers".

Call me crazy, but I bought the Z6 for the superior video capabilities over the Z7.

I tell you all of this because I want you to realize I'm heavily invested in Nikon. I have lots of F mount lenses that I use on my D500 and use with FTZ adapters on my Zs, as well as Z mount 14-35 f/4, 24-70 f/4 & 50 f/1.8.

I am "ALL in" and I am not regretting my decision at all. I take each new firmware update as a gift. Nikon is not required to do anything to their cameras after they enter the market. It is wise for them to update firmware with bug fixes, but after that, I don't expect much, so I'm truly happy and excited when they offer more.

Bottom line, don't buy any product if you're not happy with the way it works WHEN you buy it. Don't buy a car on promised or rumored updates, and certainly don't buy any electronic device based on promised or rumored updates.

We are only talking about a camera here, not a life or death medical device with a defect. Unless you're a professional photographer, this camera stuff is supposed to be fun. Go take some photos and practice with your camera

Best of luck to you.

-- hide signature --

(that "thing" I'm playing is called an EVI, short for Electronic Valve Instrument

SteveCooper's gear list:SteveCooper's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Nikon D300S Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow