R5 IBIS doesn't work with EF lens IS?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ZX11
ZX11 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,296
Re: R5 IBIS doesn't work with EF lens IS?

Steve Balcombe wrote:

RDKirk wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

At least, that's what this seems to imply (my emphasis):

"... a high-performance coordinated image stabilization (IS) system that integrates the camera's in-body IS with IS systems on attached RF lenses."

Hopefully it will at least be possible (and easy) to choose between lens IS or sensor IS. While I'm very pleased that the R5 has IBIS, if I can't use the excellent 5-stop optical IS in my 600 I'll be pretty miffed.

If it works, cool.

If it doesn't work, that's what happens with progress. You can't feed a motorcycle hay and you can't fuel a diesel-electric locomotive with coal, either.

No point being miffed about that.

Clearly you haven't recently bought a £13,000 lens, launched less than 20 months ago, for which there is no RF equivalent and it's not even on the roadmap yet.

I think Canon knows how miffed I would be, and will have made sure it works.

Miffed, while Canon has a half dozen bodies that attach to that lens without IBIS versus lens IS shenanigans. You found one body that it may be an issue with. Surely, you will have stabilization with the new RF body but not the crazy low light IBIS + RF lens IS of 8 stops.

-- hide signature --

"Very funny, Scotty! Now beam me down my clothes."
"He's dead, Jim! You grab his tri-corder. I'll get his wallet."

ZX11's gear list:ZX11's gear list
Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow