RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM and RF extenders

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
Erwann Loison Regular Member • Posts: 316
Re: RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM and RF extenders

rrc1967 wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

Wow, I think you’re the first person I’ve ever heard of who has been dreaming of a f/7.1 500mm lens. 🤣

weight is an important consideration for me.

I was actually wondering how well the 100-400 tamron would do since it weighed in at 1111g. while this will be obviously heavier because of the fact it's an L and goes to 500mm. it should still be considerably lighter than a corresponding F4-F5.6 which would put it both monetarily and weight wise out of my justification and the difference between f5.6 and f7.1 is only 2/3's of an EV. you can EC -2/3's of a stop and get the same shutter speeds but less weight. yes, you lose on DOF .. shrugs.

if weight is as important as favoring this lens over a faster one that would be 50% heavier or something along those lines, you'd be better off using some bridge superzoom camera I think.

The problem of this lens is that it's a full frame lens for birding/sports/wildlife enthusiasts and it falls very short of what the competition has put up (sony's 200-600, nikon 200-500, sigma & tamron 150-600). Canon would have been better inspired removing the L grade and make it faster and heavier, if what scares them is too many people being content with a prosumer zoom instead of going for the big primes.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow