Canon R5 - 8 k & 20 fps camera - there we go - or not?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Tim O'Connor
Tim O'Connor Veteran Member • Posts: 5,482
Re: Not competition to A9/A9II

tn1krr wrote:

joger wrote:

So we finally have it .

A real technology competition.

• new developed (40 MP ??) sensor - maybe higher DR and less noise?
  • PRO features
    • dual slot memory
    • 20 fps silent shooting
  • higher end video features

I am happy for the Canon fans we'll have finally the first interesting MILC form competition for the Sony A7R IV and A9 II

I know - there will be lots of sentiment and personal view - i view it as good competition and finally a statement to take MILCs seriously.

Personally I won't switch back to Canon - too late and too little. Now the important question: What will be the price?

Based on the scant specs it looks like a great camera, but nothing in that spec makes it a competition to A9/A9II, because

- even if it had sensor as fast 1DXIII (1/60secs full sensor readout) it makes the 20 fps mode useless for fast action due to rolling shutter. Having twice the megapixel of 1DX III I'd expect full sensor readout time between 1/40 and 1/50 or so

- due to above it will not have as blackout-free EVF or AF/tracking equal to A9 during burst shooting due to sensor spending way more time on the full sensor readouts

With mechanical shutter this is A7RIV competitor with a bit more fps; we'll gonna have to see about AF, Dynamic Range etc. before we know how these stack between each other stack.

well basically we don't know yet.  Perhaps Canon have developed their own stacked sensor? (although you would think that they would have put it in the 1DX3 if that was the case)

You can assume there will be some element of hype to the specs though - Sony do this as well, like the rather useless (IMO) 240mp mode on the A7RIV.

-- hide signature --
 Tim O'Connor's gear list:Tim O'Connor's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D500 Sony a7R IV Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow